Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

Harassed by partners exs "friend"

Customer Question

Hi, my partner is a soon to be ‘separated’ man with four children (the legal separation has yet to be finalised). We are living in Ireland and have been living together for the past year. His ex wife is extremely bitter and will not allow him to bring his children to our house and will not allow me to meet them. She has manipulated the children so badly that they are now scared of their fathers house and of some bad “mistress” – they actually know this word (ages from 5 to 12). There is a lot more to the story but that sums it up. My partner has brought them into the house once (I wasn’t there) and they had a great time. Yesterday evening I said hello to the kids while they were in the car outside the house with their father. I said hello, do you want to come in for a glass of orange. They said hello and no. I said maybe next time and bye and that was it. I went back into the house and my partner brought his kids off to a play ground. This morning a strange man called to my door. He said he we had mutual acquaintances and named the children. I said whatever this was about it was nothing to do with me and how dare he call to my house and how did he get my address. The thing is my partners ex doesn’t know the address (due to threats from her family) and there is no street sign up so the kids could only have known the general area. He didn’t answer and then proceeded to lecture me on what I was doing to the kids and how he was calling on humanitarian purposes. He said the kids were being fed by Vincent de Paul, the school was paying for their books and they were balling crying yesterday evening and emotionally distressed after my partner dropped them back. (This is a lie as when my partner dropped them off they were laughing and joking and shouting see you Friday Dad on the way in the door). I told him the marriage break up was none of his or my business and that the children had two parents already. He proceeded to lecture me on how it was my fault. I tried not to show how upset I was and told him I was calling the guards. He gave me his name and address “to save them time”. I closed the door and rang the guards. The thing is that he somehow got my general address from my partners ex (who had to have quizzed the kids) and then called to every house in the general area with the same house number as me in order to find me. The guards said they would have a chat and give him a warning but that that was all they could do. Legally, how can I address this? I would like to follow this up with both that man and my partners ex and send a clear message I will not be intimidated and will not tolerate harassment especially in my own home? Please help I am scared and at my wits end.

Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.
Now that he has been warned by the Gardai he is aware of the situation. Should he make any further contact it can be regarded as harassment under Section 10 of the non fatal offences against the person Act 1997

Harassment.

10.—(1) Any person who, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, by any means including by use of the telephone, harasses another by persistently following, watching, pestering, besetting or communicating with him or her, shall be guilty of an offence.

You can then simply reported the matter to the Gardai and seek to have him prosecuted.

Similarly he will be guilty of trespass if he approaches your property again