How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ronan Your Own Question

Ronan, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 2107
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Ronan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Harassed by partners exs "friend"

Customer Question

Hi, my partner is a soon to be ‘separated’ man with four children (the legal separation has yet to be finalised). We are living in Ireland and have been living together for the past year. His ex wife is extremely bitter and will not allow him to bring his children to our house and will not allow me to meet them. She has manipulated the children so badly that they are now scared of their fathers house and of some bad “mistress” – they actually know this word (ages from 5 to 12). There is a lot more to the story but that sums it up. My partner has brought them into the house once (I wasn’t there) and they had a great time. Yesterday evening I said hello to the kids while they were in the car outside the house with their father. I said hello, do you want to come in for a glass of orange. They said hello and no. I said maybe next time and bye and that was it. I went back into the house and my partner brought his kids off to a play ground. This morning a strange man called to my door. He said he we had mutual acquaintances and named the children. I said whatever this was about it was nothing to do with me and how dare he call to my house and how did he get my address. The thing is my partners ex doesn’t know the address (due to threats from her family) and there is no street sign up so the kids could only have known the general area. He didn’t answer and then proceeded to lecture me on what I was doing to the kids and how he was calling on humanitarian purposes. He said the kids were being fed by Vincent de Paul, the school was paying for their books and they were balling crying yesterday evening and emotionally distressed after my partner dropped them back. (This is a lie as when my partner dropped them off they were laughing and joking and shouting see you Friday Dad on the way in the door). I told him the marriage break up was none of his or my business and that the children had two parents already. He proceeded to lecture me on how it was my fault. I tried not to show how upset I was and told him I was calling the guards. He gave me his name and address “to save them time”. I closed the door and rang the guards. The thing is that he somehow got my general address from my partners ex (who had to have quizzed the kids) and then called to every house in the general area with the same house number as me in order to find me. The guards said they would have a chat and give him a warning but that that was all they could do. Legally, how can I address this? I would like to follow this up with both that man and my partners ex and send a clear message I will not be intimidated and will not tolerate harassment especially in my own home? Please help I am scared and at my wits end.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 2 years ago.
Now that he has been warned by the Gardai he is aware of the situation. Should he make any further contact it can be regarded as harassment under Section 10 of the non fatal offences against the person Act 1997


10.—(1) Any person who, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, by any means including by use of the telephone, harasses another by persistently following, watching, pestering, besetting or communicating with him or her, shall be guilty of an offence.

You can then simply reported the matter to the Gardai and seek to have him prosecuted.

Similarly he will be guilty of trespass if he approaches your property again

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Buachaill


    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • cmcsolicitor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • José M.'s Avatar

    José M.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Spanish Attorney
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK based Immigration Solicitor
  • Top_advisor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Attorney