Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years

I am on the dole getting a very small amount and I want to

I am on the dole getting a very small amount and I want to become self employed I rang dole office and they said its to do with the tax man? I thought they provide back to work enterprise allowance and if I register with tax man will I lose my dole, what are my options
To become self employed you need to register that fact with the Revenue commissioner and make annual returns yourself.

IF you have been unemployed for 12 months. Then yes your are entitled to apply to the Dept of Social Protection for a Back to Work Enterprise Allowance. This will give you an allowance of €188.00 for the first 12 months and a protion of that for the 2nd twelve months

You will not loss your payment and your allowance will be tax free. However you will be liable for tax on your other income