Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

For Buachaill please!My father passed away in April. He

For Buachaill please!

My father passed away in April. He drew both English (contributory as he lived and worked in the UK until retirement) and Irish pension (noncontributory). I have applied for a bereavement grant through the state and they say they are checking his old insurance number to see whether he had made any contributions. If he hasn't paid tax in Ireland as he retired to Ireland after he worked in the UK all is life, would he be entitled to a bereavement grant? He served in the Irish army before and after WWII (during WWII he was in the British army).
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.

I have informed Buachaill that your question is waiting for him. He will see it when he next checks his mail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. At the outset, entitlement to a bereavement grant is based upon PRSI payments, not upon any other basis, such as ability to pay for the funeral. In this situation, where your father served in the Irish army both before and after WW2, then he will have paid PRSI in Ireland and he will be entitled to a bereavement grant. ON the basis of his PRSI payments, he is entitled to a bereavement grant. Accordingly, you should simply supply the years he worked for the Irish army as these will be the years in respect of which he will have paid PRSI in Ireland.
Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much