Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

hi my sister was injured when involved in a r.t.a. she was

hi my sister was injured when involved in a r.t.a. she was rearended. she lives in n orthern ireland, the accident occured in the west of ireland, the republic. it was a hit and run the driver just ran off it seems like the car was not insured. what recourse if any has she? thanks

Buachaill :

1. In the Republic of Ireland all victims of the negligence unknown drivers, such as a hit and run, can sue the Motor Insurer's Bureau of Ireland (MIBI) as a defendant for any injuries which they have suffered. It does not matter that your sister is living in Northern Ireland, she can still sue the MIBI. What happens if the writ is served by a solicitor in the Republic of Ireland and the MIBI are joined as a defendant. The MIBI will appear and defend the action but in practice this is only so that damages can be assessed.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may ge tpai

hi thanks for that can she claim for damages to her car and personal injuries for the passengers and herself as driver also the car she was driving wasnt actullay registered to her but she owned, it is that a problem can she still claim for the car damage? thanks

Buachaill :

2. She can claim damages for her car and her own personal injuries. Once she owned the car, she is able to claim damages for it even if it was not registered to her. However, she will have to prove ownership by means of receipts or such evidence. However, each of the passengers will have to make their own claim on their own behalf. One person cannot sue on behalf of another person. However, each of the passengers will have a good cause of action if they were injured.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid