How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cmcsolicitor Your Own Question
cmcsolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 157
Experience:  and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
cmcsolicitor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son married a girl from Ukraine in Ukraine in 2006. Last

Customer Question

My son married a girl from Ukraine in Ukraine in 2006. Last year they separated. They have one child aged 3. He would like to divorce in or through Ukraine. It should be cheaper and quicker. They have no property and she is a professional woman and self supporting. She is not co-operative although it was she who decided to end their marriage.
Can he proceed to acquire a divorce in Ukraine with or without her approval. Their marriage is over and he would like to get on with his life.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  cmcsolicitor replied 3 years ago.

cmcsolicitor :

The answer depends on where they live, and on Ukrainian law rather than Irish law. If one or both of them resides in the Ukraine, then probably they can apply for a divorce there. If they both live in Ireland, they may have to apply here, If the divorce is ordered in compliance with Ukranian law, then it will be recognised here. Whether it is possible under their particular circumstances (where they reside) is a question for a Ukranian lawyer.