cmcsolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.

My son married a girl from Ukraine in Ukraine in 2006. Last

Customer Question

My son married a girl from Ukraine in Ukraine in 2006. Last year they separated. They have one child aged 3. He would like to divorce in or through Ukraine. It should be cheaper and quicker. They have no property and she is a professional woman and self supporting. She is not co-operative although it was she who decided to end their marriage.
Can he proceed to acquire a divorce in Ukraine with or without her approval. Their marriage is over and he would like to get on with his life.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  cmcsolicitor replied 3 years ago.

cmcsolicitor :

The answer depends on where they live, and on Ukrainian law rather than Irish law. If one or both of them resides in the Ukraine, then probably they can apply for a divorce there. If they both live in Ireland, they may have to apply here, If the divorce is ordered in compliance with Ukranian law, then it will be recognised here. Whether it is possible under their particular circumstances (where they reside) is a question for a Ukranian lawyer.