Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Hi, I am living in the apartment block, there is no assigned

Customer Question

Hi, I am living in the apartment block, there is no assigned parking space for each apartment. Can I put up a sign "no parking" because I am living here, do I have any rights if someone parks in those places?
Thanks a lot, look forward to her an answer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. I regret to say that you cannot simply put up a sign saying "No parking" if there has not been a specific parking spot granted to you when buying your apartment. In law, you would need a specific easement or land right granted to you over a particular parking spot in order to be able to assert a right that no one else can park there. Otherwise, you are simply like the rest of the world and you merely have a right to park your car where you can find parking. But you have no right to prevent others parking there. I would also advise you to read the Terms & Conditions upon which you purchased your apartment and see if there has been any reference to parking made there. Essentially, you cannot assert any rights greater than what you bought. So you should check your deeds to see what was said in the Contract for Sale & Conveyance about parking rights.
Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Buachaill,

Thank you for your answer. I read a parking law myself and I understand that I do not have any rights to receive any parking space, I was just wondering -maybe there is any other Law which gives me at least a small right for a parking space at the front of my apartment block.

Where and how I can get a specific easment or land right for a parking space. Do I need to pay for it?

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Dear Dasy, There is no other law which gives you "a small right for a parking space" at the front of your apartment block. You essentially have to purchase a parking space if you want one.