Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years

Hello. I was coming back from work this evening only to find

Hello. I was coming back from work this evening only to find my neighbor across the road at my door complaining about the height of my front garden hedges. They are about 2 meter high the most and the issue its all about blocking the view of a potentially incoming car when you walk along the hedges (its at the conner). Now I really love my hedges and don't get me wrong, I understand her, knowing that she holds a private preschool at her residence and it's obviously because of the difficulty parents have driving and parking in very front of my garden, witch I never complaint of being reasonable. But she demands hedges being cut back to a height of 60 cm or she will look for legal action. I mean come on, seriously?

Is there hedge height restriction that she can force me to comply to here?

It's a private residential cull de sac area with almost all detached with private front and back garden houses. I own and live in one here.
Thank you very much and really appreciate a frank answer.
No, she has no grounds in law whatsoever to require you to cut back your own hedge once it remains within the boundaries of your own property. If the hedge was over hanging some part of her property she would be entitle to prune it back to the boundary but this is all she is entitled to do
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Ronan. But (this might sound funny) I was thinking, can she go that far and organize a petition in the neighborhood collecting signatures and complain to the county council against me here claiming that the hedges causes a blind spot? Because she really is that kind of person if you know what I mean.

She can do that if she wants, it her right to lobby council and council members if she so wishes. She has no recourse at law however.

If she does this and the council were to agree with her, they would need to compulsorily purchase the ground where your hedge is in order to take it down. The council don't have money for such things at present