cmcsolicitor
cmcsolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
71807589

I am living in Pakistani National Living in Middle East( Qatar

Customer Question

I am living in Pakistani National Living in Middle East( Qatar ) with my First Wife since 10 years . My Marriage Domicile was basically from Pakistan, I have 3 Children who born in Qatar , their Birth certificate is based in Qatar

now I am getting Married again with my Pakistani National Women in UAE Middile East ,
She Was divocered and she has one daughter from her first Husband will there will be any issue for her daughter after my and her marriage to getting visa for Ireland for her Daughter

In Qatar and UAE and in Pakistan Polygamy is allowed.

I am planning to Apply with my Second wife for Ireland as an Entrepreneur Visa,

What be will be the case of my First Wife ... will my Polygamy valid In Ireland under the IRISH Law. can you put some light on this please,

my email [email protected]
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  cmcsolicitor replied 3 years ago.

cmcsolicitor :

No, your second marriage will not be recognised in Ireland, as polygamous marriages are not recognised under Irish law. Your second wife will not be able to apply for a spousal visa.

JACUSTOMER-o6p2ax1b- :

I understand . but will this be Okay .. If my first wife will come to Ireland and I will have Spouse Visa nd my Second wife will be on Entrepreneur visa will this effect . or consider as illigle as my both marriage is valid which was held outside ireland . in the country where polygamous marriages allowed,

JACUSTOMER-o6p2ax1b- :

I am really confuse b.c some places it is mentioned it is okay as long as it was marriage outside where polygamous marriage were allowed ,

JACUSTOMER-o6p2ax1b- :

need your support .in this ...

cmcsolicitor :

Yyour second wife is certainly free to Ireland independently of you, on an entrepreneur visa. Your marriage will not be recognised here - you will be "strangers in law".

cmcsolicitor :

The case that you mention was a case where the husband was asking the Irish state to recognise his polygamous marriage for the purposes of an immigration decision, and to grant immigration permission for a second wife to join him here as his spouse. The High Court has stated on a number of occasions that Ireland should recognise foreign marriages as long as they are considered valid in the country where they took place - with the exception of polygamous marriages.

cmcsolicitor :

However, none of this will prevent your second wife from being granted immigration permission on her own, independent, basis. Your relationship with her child will not be recognised.

cmcsolicitor :

All this means is that, for the purposes of a residency or visa application, and for any other legal purpose in Ireland, yoru second marriage will not be recognised in Ireland. This will not prevent your second wife from making an independent application for residency, and there is certainly nothing to prevent you from living as a family. However this will be considered a private arrangement and it will not be recognised in law.

JACUSTOMER-o6p2ax1b- :

it is good but if irish Government will know that my Second wife is marrried by islamic Relgion and living with me will this effect or count as a criminal law...

JACUSTOMER-o6p2ax1b- :

where we did not request any benefits by Irish government...

cmcsolicitor :

This will not be a criminal matter unless you attempt to marry your wife under the civil laws here (that would be bigamy). If your second wife simply comes to join your household, with an independent immigration permission, of her own free will, and if you do not attempt to have her recognised as your spouse for any purpose, then you will not be committing any crime.

cmcsolicitor :

Please rate my answer positively so that I may get paid.

JACUSTOMER-o6p2ax1b- :

all is good accept the worse thing My second wife's child will not be recognized by me ... is there any solution for this in irish law... ?