cmcsolicitor
cmcsolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.

I am an agency worker on a fixed term-contract. I have worked

Customer Question

I am an agency worker on a fixed term-contract. I have worked in the same company, doing the same job for the last 2 and 1/2 years (but was directly employed by 3 different employment agencies). The company I work in now wishes to make major changes to the job, I am indirectly employed by them to do. The nature of the work I am contracted to do is not specifically described in my employment contract. Do I have the right to object to changes in my daily work, and if so who do I object to, the agency or the company I am indirectly employed by.
Regards Rebecca
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Fran
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I am still waiting for an answer

Expert:  wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Wendy

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

We are still working with the professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still waiting

Expert:  wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again for your patience, we will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Wendy

Expert:  cmcsolicitor replied 1 year ago.

Whether you are an agency worker or not, your employer is not permitted to change the key terms of your contract without your agreement during the term of your employment. The nature of the work that you are doing is certainly a key term. If the contract does not state what the work is, then there would be an implied term at this stage that whatever work you have been doing all along is what you are employed to do... that is, unless there is a term in the contract dealing with the fact that the nature of the work might change as needed etc.

I wonder why the nature of your work is changing. Is it a personal matter, specific to you; in other words are they picking on you for some reason? If that is the case, then perhaps discrimination or bullying etc are relevant to your situation.

Or, is the work that you are doing no longer necessary, so that your post is effectively redundant? If that is the case, then the employer is no longer obliged to keep you on, but perhaps they do not want to make you redundant.

So, the short answer is that your employer can't change the terms of your contract during the currency of the contract (unless the contract itself provides for a very wide range of duties to be performed by you as required). On the other hand, the whole circumstances will be relevant as well in terms of whether you can or should do anything about it. On the basis of what you say, I would suggest speaking to the agency about your concerns to begin with.

cmcsolicitor, Solicitor
Experience: and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
Thanks for rating my answer positively. I hope that things work out well for you.