How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cmcsolicitor Your Own Question
cmcsolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 157
Experience:  and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
cmcsolicitor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My former tenant is threatening to sue me for slander. This

This answer was rated:

My former tenant is threatening to sue me for slander. This is based off a conversation my mother had with one of the neighbours. My mother mentioned that the tenant had left the apartment filthy with a significant amount of damage and that she was in arrears in her rent. All of which is true.  She was responding to the fact that the neighbour commented that my former tenant had not received her deposit back as I had not turned up when she was leaving.  However my mother clarified that there was no deposit due back and in fact it had been arranged that the letting agent would collect the keys.


The neighbour also expressed some opinions about the tenant, namely the care of her children, that there were parties, that they were like travellers, her children robbed bread from her..etc


I personally have not discussed the tenant with any neighbours. Should I be worried? I do not appreciate the harrasment either so could I countersue for damages to my property?  Is it worth the hassle given this girl has no money and is living on social welfare.  My initial inclination was to put the experience behind me - however her arrogant threats have now made me rethink the situation.



I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I have not resolved the matter and I am still looking for a response on this matter.


Many thanks




Thank you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.


Hello again,

We are still working with the professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would still like a response. Will there be one forthcoming soon?


Kind Regards



We cannot predict when a question will draw a reply. It depends on many variables such as the difficulty and the detail level of the question and the areas of expertise and schedule constraints of the lawyers on line.

Thanks for your patience.
If the comments that your mother made were true, then that would be a good defence to slander. However, I do not think that you have anything to worry about and I would be very surprised if any solicitor would agree to issue those proceedings.

If damage was done to the property then certainly you can sue yes. However if, as you suggest, the person does not have money to pay for any damages, then any order that you might get is not likely to be enforceable.

My guess is that, frustrating as it undoubtedly is, your best option is to let it go.
cmcsolicitor, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 157
Experience: and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
cmcsolicitor and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks for rating my answer positively. Better luck with your next tenant!