Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

If I have scratched someone elses car and notified them of

Customer Question

If I have scratched someone elses car and notified them of this (as soon as i found out who owned the car) and offered to pay for any repair to the scratch am I entitled to choose the garage?This person has come back with an estimate that is double what I have been quoted from my garage and we both have photos. Noteworthy is that by the time I could notify the person it was three days later (attempted through place of work to contact earlier) the person had not even noticed any damage.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

Buachaill :

1. I regret to say that you are unable to insist on a particular garage doing the repairs. Essentially, the onus is on the person who has suffered the damage to have the damage repaired and then to sue you for any money owing. However, you are not able to insist on where the repair takes place as the car is not your property. I appreciate that you have acted in a most unselfish and honest manner with regard to this incident. However, the car owner of the damaged car is entitled to choose where the repairs take place.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid

Customer :

I should have mentioned that I do not want to go through insurance, offering to pay for the repairs in cash instead. Do you think it would be wise to try to negotiate and offer the difference between the two quotes?

Customer :

I realise that I have accepted responsibility by offering to pay etc and there were no witnesses at the time, I didn't report to Gardai, just found car owner- do you think it's feasible to try to negotiate more? I offered for her to get the repair done at my garage and she has refused, and I don't see how the (minimal) damage could cost so much more & basically feel like she is ripping me off....I don't have any proof that the car was "scratch free" before the incident. And she is claiming the car needs panel beating (there is no panel beating required I am 100% sure) so I am wondering about the repair she is having done!?

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. You certainly should negotiate the amount payable for repairs. Essentially, you have to make clear you have no difficulty in paying for what repairs are necessary but you are not paying an exorboitant price for the repairs she has suggested. Indicate you will make an immediate and cash payment for the sum you have found out is necessary. Alternatively, suggest that you get the repairs done at an independent garage and you will pay for them. However, be aware that garage men usually charge extra when asked for a quote in a situation like this and what has happened here is that the garage where this woman has got a quote are seeking to take advantage of the situation. My best guess is no panel beating is necessary and that repairs will ultimately take place without this occurring.