Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years

hi i was caught removing a pair of€12 shoes from a shop which

Customer Question

hi i was caught removing a pair of€12 shoes from a shop which were in the side of my trolley with my groceries which were unpaid for i was detained and ask make a statement i did and said it was an genuine error, however they said they did not believe me as a 3 weeks prior to this they saw me on cctv again paying for my groceries but two pairs kids jogging pants were ontop of trolley not paid for. i asked why was nothing done about this before hand and was not given a reason. i told the guards ive no recollection of that incident which i dont i asked could i see the cctv and they said no and just told me they had seen it and it was def me. they made a file and are sending it to the dpp. what is likely to happen to me wil i get jail im very worried as ive a caution form a year ago for similair situation. im terrified.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.
You will most likely be charged with Section 4 of Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud) Act 2001. You can then make an application for all evidence against you including CCTV footage. You can fight the charges or plead guilty on foot of this evidence.

If you are convicted, it is not likely that you will be given a custodial sentence. This will most likely be dealt with by way of a monetary penalty given the nature of the goods, their small value.

The judge is not going to send you to jail for this offence
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thankyou for your quick reply.... i they allowed to chbarge me with something that was done a month? i has since shopped in there several times and nothing was said to me? if i get to see this cctv footage and it is as they say if i plead guilty is that not me admitting to purposley removing it without payng albeit carlessness on my behalf. also can i keep this in the court csn i stop it being published in local papaer anyway as if my husband finds out they will be SEVERE consecquences. sandra

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry also what does a monentary penalty mean exactly??

sandra

Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.
Monetary penalty means a fine. The press are allowed to report on the matter but it is unlikely they will report it as it is not really newsworthy. Yes, they are entitled to charge you after a month
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thankyou again what will happen when i testtify that it was not done purposley, who will decide my fate or am i better too plead guilty?. the judge only? also do i have to attend in person or can i get my solicitor to represent me? this is irish law is it just i notice a difference in our times?

sandra

Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.
The judge makes the decision in the case. It is your decision whether to run it or not. If it is done without intent and you can prove this the Judge will strike out the charges. You will need to attend and you should also get a solicitor. Yes, this is Irish Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for your help... so just to clarify as this is my fgirst time in court even thou there are two charges you dont think i will get jail? also cud you advise me is there anything i cud do to try to prevent this going to court?? maybe a big donation too poor box or something??

Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.
No you won t go to jail

No there is no way of avoiding it going into court. You can make an offer to the poor box when you are before the judge