How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10078
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with a stress disorder after

This answer was rated:


I was recently diagnosed with a stress disorder after a bereavement in the family. Following medical advice, I was forced to withdraw from any stressful activities while I was being treated.

I work as a software/systems engineer and up until Mon 27th May I had been continuing to work as normal. On Monday I was unable to go to work and have not been since.

The MD of the company is well aware of my current medical situation and has been since I was first diagnosed. I appreciate this is not ideal for him but I have offered him a doctors note explaining things.

My problem is that he is now withholding my wages, without notification/agreement to/with me. I worked 3 out of four weeks this month so I am definitely due some payment.

My contract is the standard engineering fixed salary - no overtime type contract (I can forward you a copy should it be nesessary), but I'm sure there must be some provisions in the employment legislation to protect employees whilst on medical leave.

Any help/advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.


1. At the outset, unless your employment contract provides for sick pay, there is no legal entitlement under employment legislation to sick pay when you are off sick from work. Accordingly, if you wish to successfully claim sick pay, it must be written into your employment contract. However, as I understand your Question, you are due payment for the 3 out of 4 weeks you worked this month. An employer is not entitled to unilaterally with-hold an employee's wages. So I would suggest that you formally write a letter to the company querying why you have not been paid the money due to you. Take this letter to the company payroll office and hand it in if you do not get satisfaction about why you have not been paid. If your employer refuses to pay you, then you can take a case before a Rights Commissioner seeking payment of any unpaid wages. A direction to the employer to pay will be issued and you can then enforce that against any company property if it is not followed.

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid

Buachaill, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 10078
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Buachaill and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Buachaill



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • cmcsolicitor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • José M.'s Avatar

    José M.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Spanish Attorney
  • A.Valcke's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    14+ years experience // Masters in EU Law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK based Immigration Solicitor

Related Republic of Ireland Law Questions