Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

My fiancé and myself are getting married in July in London,

My fiancé and myself are getting married in July in London, town where we are living since several years. He is French and I have both the Italian and the Luxembourg nationality. We both have a job, but while I have some real estate properties (two apartments) and will once inherit more, my fiancé has no personal properties. According to the English law, getting married without a specific contract will imply that in case of divorce also my personal properties will have to be shared with my husband?
Thank you for your answer.
1. Yes, if you get divorced, then all your assets will become subject to any order the divorce court may make including requiring you to share some of your personal property assets with your husband. There is no automatic rule that any assets you bring into the marriage are to be treated as separate property which would not be subject to the order of the divorce court. Secondly, you should consider signing a pre-nuptial agreement which would deal with separation upon divorce. Following the Radmacher decision, pre-nuptial agreements are now binding if they represent a genuine attempt to make provision for each spouse consequent upon a divorce happening at some time in the future. In this way you can safeguard your assets should a divorce occur.
Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. Would you be able to give me the name of a lawyer in London whom I could contact for making a pre-nuptial agreement?

2.Christina Blacklaws, Director of Family Law, The Co-operative Legal Services, London W2, UK will provide fixed cost family law solutions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information!

Best of luck!