Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

Wife changing locks on house. What should I do?

Customer Question

Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. The answer to this question depends on who is the registered owner of the house? If you answer this Question I can give you a definitive answer. If you are joint owners, then one co-owner cannot lawfully exclude the other from the house unless a court grants a Safety (barring) order. Similarly if you are the registered owner your wife cannot exclude you from your own home unless there is a Safety order put in place. However, if the house is registered in your wife's sole name, then she can exclude you from the house at will. In this circumstance, you will need to prepare alternative accommodation to which you can move. Otherwise, the issue of where the parties will live is normally dealt with in the course of separation or divorce proceedings.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that i may get paid

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Answer took 29 hours!
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.
That is not correct. If you look at the time when the Question was filed 2.43pm on 26th May and the time it was answered 8.06pm on 26th May, it was just over five hours after which it was answered.
Please RERATE the Answer positively