Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

Im American, but I live in France. I have no property in

Customer Question

I'm American, but I live in France. I have no property in America, I haven't lived there since 2001. No bank account, nothing. Recently a collection agency has been calling everyday about my student loan, which is now delinquent. I'm not sure if they can sue me or take anything from me over here. I don't have any way to pay each month and honestly, I don't really make enough money to pay on the loan and keep my children fed. They haven't offered any solution to this problem and I'm thinking about ignoring them. I understand that it's not honest.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. At the outset you need to realise that it is perfectly feasible for the student loan group to sue you in France on the basis of the money owed in america. There is nothing preventing them suing you in France and getting judgment against you in France. This can then be enforced against any assets or property you may have in France. However, if you have no assets, then they cannot get blood out of a stone! But ignoring the problem will not make it go away. It will simply encourage the holder of the loan to sue you in France and see how far they get.

Buachaill :

2. So consider carefully what is the best long term strategy to adopt and don't simply stick your head in the sand.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the answer positively so that I may get paid