How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cmcsolicitor Your Own Question
cmcsolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 157
Experience:  and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
cmcsolicitor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband inherited his fathers home but the deeds are still

Customer Question

My husband inherited his father's home but the deeds are still in his deceased father's name. Can he put them into his name without retaining a lawyer by going to the land registry or something?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  cmcsolicitor replied 3 years ago.

cmcsolicitor : If your husband was registered as a joint owner of the property during his father's lifetime then he will not need to make any application as the Death Cert would be sufficient proof that the property has passed to him by survivorship.
cmcsolicitor : If he was not a joint owner during his father's lifetime, then he will need to present a Grant of Probate (if he inherited on the basis of a Wil) or a Grant of Administration (if he inherited on intestacy) along with the application to the PRA.
cmcsolicitor : You might like to say which of these you think applies and I will be able to state the steps that will be required.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He was not a joint owner so the latter steps please thank you. Will he be able to do this without retaining a lawyer? Further will he incur any kind of estate tax from transferring the deeds to his name? Thank you
Expert:  cmcsolicitor replied 3 years ago.
1. Prepare form CA 24 Inland Revenue Affidavit ( this will be required to be submitted with the probate application and any taxes payable will be calculated on this basis.

You will need to provide written evidence about the assets/ liabilities of the deceased, so funeral bill, bank statements etc. So the first step is to set up a file and to start writing letters to the various institutions stating who you are and providing a copy of the Death Cert, and asking for a statement of the liabilities at the date of death, or of the value of the asset/ bank account etc.

There is effectively a CAT free allowance on amounts below €225,000 inherited from parents, with 33% payable on anything after that.

2. Apply for a Grant of Probate if there is a Will, or a Grant of Administration if there is no Will. These applications can be made by personal applicants with the assistance of the Probate Office in Phoenix House, Smithfield, Dublin. They are fussy applications and will involve several trips to the Probate Office, for which reason most people get a solicitor to do the work. A solicitor will be able to apply to the local probate office, but the local offices are not set up to assist personal applicants. Gathering the information about the assets for the CA 24 is a big part of the job so if that is done you would get a competitive quote from a solicitor for the probate application.

3. Apply to the Property Registration Authority or the Registry of Deeds to have the property transferred. The Grant of Probate or Administration will be required. The steps required at that stage will depend on whether the property is registered.

I trust that this has been helpful. Please rate this answer positively so that I can be paid. Thanks.
cmcsolicitor, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 157
Experience: and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
cmcsolicitor and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you this was excellent.
Expert:  cmcsolicitor replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your positive rating.

Good luck with all of this!

Expert:  cmcsolicitor replied 3 years ago.
Hello - please rate my question so that I will get paid for the answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I accepted the answer like I do for all my questions as I have a subscription and cannot rate it. I just click accept and so far noone has had a problem getting paid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It says accepted above and has a check mark saying I paid.
Expert:  cmcsolicitor replied 3 years ago.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Buachaill



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • cmcsolicitor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • José M.'s Avatar

    José M.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Spanish Attorney
  • A.Valcke's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    14+ years experience // Masters in EU Law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK based Immigration Solicitor

Related Republic of Ireland Law Questions