Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

Possibly slander from colleague

Customer Question

I heard that a colleague of mine was referring to me a 'druggie'. I was going to a very bad patch at the time and my then partner had been arrested for drug muking however I was found to be totally in the clear and was only first impliacted via association. My colleague was not even at work at the time and was on maternity leave yet he had told my boss that i was out of my head (to quote what I heard) on drugs the whole time and that was why I was so upset. I did not hear this form my boss but from a third party. this supposedly occured at least three years ago but I only heard about it in the last month.

what are my rights if any
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 3 years ago.
You would need to be able to prove these defamatory comments beyond a reasonable doubt. At present, you have no direct evidence of what was said, merely hearsay from a 3rd party which is not admissable in court. Further to this you are not sure what exactly was said. Was it a statement of fact or merely of opinion. In the event it was opinion it is not deemed defamatory.

Given the transient nature of the comments and the length of time involved there is no substantive case to pursue here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was a statement of fact to my employer. as this person was only aware that my partner had been in trouble she said that she knew the reason that I was so upaset was that I was 'of my head in work'. it was not an opinion as the work colleague who said it was in fact on maternity leave so would not be in a position to even judge. She had also implied that I was of my head on the 'drugs' my partner was supplying when in fact at this point in time I was no longer in contact with my partner. sje then said she couls do my job if i was to be let go. i heard this from a source high in management and since then this same employee has been suspected of taking prescription medicines for recreational use and in fact is using a source within our company to supply them to her.
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Wendy