cmcsolicitor
cmcsolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
71807589

I have been helping my financially irresponsible sister pay

I have been helping my financially irresponsible sister pay her mortgage plus giving her extra for living expenses, So far the agreement is verbal , effectively the property will be mine when she and her husband die.Despite her dire circumstances she is quite reckless with money & seems to be indifferent with her head in the sand about her circumstances. She is in her late sixties & I will be paying the mortgage for the next 27years. Any practical advice as I know I really have to make this agreement legal? I am financially very stable but still feel I might just have made a very big error in offering to help her when she was desperate.

cmcsolicitor : You will need to have the property transferred into your name in order to ensure that you become the owner on your sister's death. If the property is held in the joint names of your sister, her husband, and you, then the last surviving of the three will become the sole owner by survirorship.
I see that you have rated my answer as "OK". If you require any further information or if you feel that I have not answered your question fully, do please let me know.