Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

My wife was/is suicidal and depressed. No previous crimes of

Customer Question

My wife was/is suicidal and depressed. No previous crimes of any kind. Was on way to her father's grave to kill herself. Drank a bottle of wine en route and erratic driving noted by an off duty cards. Contacted colleagues who made the stop and subsequent arrest and confirmation of blood alcohol level etc. Given 3 year ban. Solicitor advised not to appeal. A total of 8 admissions to psychiatric units before and after events and process is genuinely impacting on her ability to undergo psych treatment and fulfill role as a mother. I think we were poorly advised by solicitor and now 8 months into the ban. I'm hearing of reductions and suspensions for spurious reasons, this is genuine. Is the law this blind. I am a doctor myself
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 3 years ago.
You were not poorly advised.

Firstly, she was only given what the mandatory ban was. I assume her blood alcohol was Exceeding 150mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood and as such this is the minimum ban she could have served.The judge has no choice in this.

She can apply for restoration of her licence once she has served 2 years of her ban. i.e. Make an application for restoration of her licence after she has served 2/3 of her disqualification

Even if she was within the alcohol limit which allows for only a 2 year disqualification. It would be be largely irrelevant, as in order to apply for restoration of a licence you must have served at least 2 years of your disqualification