Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Hi, I have a question, my partner and I we both work for the

Hi, I have a question, my partner and I we both work for the same company in ireland. At the present i been promoted and i had to move. My partner is one year waiting for this transfer and company is not happy to transfer him.. Does the irish law say anithing about couples etc? Thank you

Buachaill :

1. I regret to say that Irish employment law is silent as to the rights of couples where both work, whether in the same company or different companies. Irish employment law gives no rights to couples in relation to either the hours they work or the location of their employment. Accordingly, it is purely a matter of negotiation with your employer to get the employer to locate both of you in the same location. It would not amount to constructive dismissal under the Unfair Dismissals legislation if your husband decided to resign because he was not working in the same location as you. He would be considered to have voluntarily left his job in such circumstances. Finally, whilst the Constitution recognises a woman's special place in the home, it does not give working women or working mothers any additional rights in relation to the location of their employment.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid

Customer: Ok
Customer: Very sad to hear the above
Sorry the news isn't any better!