Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

I got married in an Irish Catholic church in April of this

Customer Question

I got married in an Irish Catholic church in April of this year and we have both decided that it was a mistake. The Marriage Registration Form has not been returned to the Registrar. If we refuse to return the form, will the marriage still be legal? Are we forced to register the marriage? Also, would it be possible to have a civil marriage to someone else in the future?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 3 years ago.
If you signed the civil register on the day of the marriage then yes, you are legal married. All other forms should have been returned in advance of this otherwise you would not have been permitted to do so . The church arrange for the civil marriage arrangements to be registered from there.

It will be necessary obtain a decree of divorce if you wish to marry someone else in the future by way of civil marriage
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is my understanding that you cannot get a civil marriage Certificate until the marriage is registered. If the Marriage Registration form is not returned how is it possible that the marriage is if it is never Registered? Does the Marriage Registration Form not represent the contract?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Not comprehensive. Would like to know about any other possible couses of action I could take. For instance, an annulment.
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Wendy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Wendy, I am ok waiting. Please note that in section 6 of the Marriage Registration Form it states that " this part must be completed immediately following the marriage ceremony, by the persons so named - failure to do so will mean that the marriage cannot be registered by our service and thereby will not be entered into the National Register of Marriages (eg:your marriage will not be recognised in civil law)". This would seem to suggest that if the document is not returned, the marriage will not be recognised in civil law. I would be grateful if you would attach this information to the question.