Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years

My husband is in the circut court for an appeal against a decsion

My husband is in the circut court for an appeal against a decsion which was in his favour in relation to an unfair dismissals case. He was awarded €30 of which his previous employer appealed.

Can you tell me the costs associated with this. I was under the impression that there was no costs to these employement cases on the employee's behalf. He has a solicitor acting on his behalf. He has just been told that the fees will be in the region of €10,000
Once the matter is appealed from the Employment Appeals Tribunal to the Circuit Court there is a costs element involved. The point to remember here is that cost will follow the event. That is if your husband's employers fail to successfully appeal the case they will be liable for his legal costs.

The costs in running a circuit court case such as this would be in the region of €7000 to €8000