Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years

Query on child support

Hi. I am negotiating child support and would like to know what amount will be required. My after tax income is Euro4,950 per month. I am supporting two other children and my mortgage outgoings alone are Eur 3,400 p.m. whilst my income is high my outgoings are also high and leave me with very little disposable income. I feel I can pay Euro340 p.m and expect this will meet 40 - 45% of the childs monthly costs. the mother earns a salary of circa Eur60k pa and has good disposable income and only this child to support.

You haven't asked a specfic question here.

However, I would say this is a reasonable offer. This is approximately €80.00 per week and is not unreasonable. If you end up going through the courts.

The Court will examine your means and may based on the statement of means you furnish order a higher or lower figure.

If advising the mother i would be indicating that she accept the offer of €80.00 per week as she does risk getting a lower amount if she goes before a judge
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your response. One final clarification. In assessing means does a court look at savings in addition to income. I have about Eur 30,000 in savings which I keep as a fund to protect in the event of redundancy. It seems in certain welfare caluculations the first E20,000 is ignored with the remainder taken into consideration - does this logic extend to this child support situations?

Yes, the court will look at all assets that you have and your savings will certainly be taken into account. This applies to any savings you have and there is no exclusion of the first €20,000.00