Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years

I work for a private hospital. In December 2011 I agreed to

I work for a private hospital. In December 2011 I agreed to increase my hours by 3.5hrs per month to facilitate the hospital. I have just discovered that somehow an error was made in communicating that increase to the salaries dept and hence they have paid me for an extra 3.5hrs per week for the past 16 months.I didn't notice this error as with Sunday supplements and bank holiday pay my salary can fluctuate from month to month. Where do I stand with regard to my options for paying this back. I do not want to work the hours back but obviously I owe them money but I wonder can they ask for it in a lump sum or what are my rights in this instance?
A reasonable approach will need to be taken by your employers. Obviously, you can make it very difficult for them in terms of requiring them to obtain a judgement against you for the amount, installment order etc. So the ball is very much in your court, once they revert to you with figures, you can put your proposal to them with regard to what is convenient for you to pay them back