Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years

I have this major issue with two of my sisters and hope you

I have this major issue with two of my sisters and hope you can let me know the legal issues and how I can get this issue resolved. I will explain...

Almost a year ago, my sister in Ireland told me that two of my youngest sister had said to her that she and my eldest sister had given me 4000 euros from the sale of a flat my dad had. When she repeated this to me I was very annoyed as they had never given me any money at all and I didn't like that they were saying they had when they hadn't.

I called the sister who had said this and asked 'What's this I hear you've been saying about giving me 4000 euros?' She replied to my astonishment, yes we did, you call R (that is my eldest sister) and she will confirm this. So I did that, and couldn't believe, she said, yes we did and it was 8000 euros!! This was the May bank holiday last year and I said, I want proof, show me when you gave me that money, I was irate!! She said, it's the bank holiday now but when the banks are open I will. I said good and we finished the conversation!

Then the following weekend I was visiting my dad and just mentioned to him that I was annoyed, because they were making up lies - saying they had given me 8000 euros. Again to my further astonishment he said well they should have because I asked them to. I said why would they gave me money from the flat's sale(because I believed it belonged to them both soley) however, my dad had a share in it and from his share he asked them to give me not 8000 euros but 10,000 euros. I was really surprised to learn all this and the first thing I did was thank my dad, and said that was very kind of you, but I never received it. I never knew anything about it!! He said, well you should have and we'll go over there together and sort it out.

Anyway, to cut a very long story short - my dad gave me bank statements - which had various amounts which had been paid out in bankers drafts with no names appearing on it - he said the bankers draft for 10,000euros he believed went to me. He then got copies of the drafts from the bank and they showed that that draft had been made out to my little sister L. My dad's bank account was a joint one with my eldest sister R, and he instructed her to pay that to me but instead she paid it to my little sister and I never knew anything about it - this all happened in 2007 and as I mentioned priviously, I only found out about it last year.

I was very upset and shocked and my sisters would not answer my calls and I received no proof as I asked for during my call to her about the matter when I found out. So my next course of action was to send a recorded letter to my mum and all my four sisters in Ireland stating all the facts with the bank statement and drafts copies and said I wanted an explaination and was sure their must be one. However, I never heard anything back, except for on one occassion when one of my daughters confronted her auntie about all the hurt that was being caused over this, and that was total denial and still saying they gave me money but then changing their story and saying they didn't cause they didn't have to etc. etc. These are the only two occassions we have talked in the whole year, they won't sit down and try and sort it out. I have sent over letters asking for a meeting and have had them returned.

I now feel the only thing left to me is legal action because they are tarnishing my good name, making out to my parents and other family members that I'm a liar. I now just want the matter settled legally as it doesn't seem they want to have any relationship with me and explain what happened to the money - I want to make criminal charges against them for not giving me what my dad asked them to - and I want to clear my name in my family. Please help and let me know my options.

Kind regards

J
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  touchwoodsden replied 1 year ago.

So have they stolen the money which yr dad gave them to give to you?

This is all in RoI?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but they are still insisting they gave it to me but won't produce proff because they can't and they are making out that I am lying and will not meet or correspond with me? So they have effectively stolen the money and are trying to get away with it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
My concerns have not been answered yet, just more detail asked for, to which I have responded and still have not had my question answered.
This is a matter for Solicitor and Garda in RoI. I will transfer to RoI law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, Many thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, Many thanks

Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.
Firstly, this is a criminal matter under the theft and frauds act 2001 and needs to be pursued by the Gardai if you want your sisters prosecuted. You should contact The Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation (GBFI) which is a specialist bureau that investigates fraud-related crime involving complex issues of criminal law or procedure.

Secondly, you should engage a solicitor in Ireland to draft a civil bill and issue proceedings in the circuit court seeking to recover your money from them
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience: B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years