How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask cmcsolicitor Your Own Question

cmcsolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 144
Experience:  and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
cmcsolicitor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Employed on a fixed term contract from 2009 as cover for person

Customer Question

Employed on a fixed term contract from 2009 as cover for person on leave of absence.
That person returned in 2011. Have worked continuously to date. No written contract issued since the first one. When submitting details to bank re mortgage application in 2011 my employer described me as permanent. Called to a meeting and told I will be let go next month but I may return on a half time basis later in the year.
Can this be done or is it reasonable to assume I have permanency?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Expert:  cmcsolicitor replied 1 year ago.
This depends somewhat on the date in 2009 in which you were hired. If you have worked for the employer for four years on the basis of renewed fixed-term contracts, then you are entitled to a contract of indefinite duration. All that means is that you should be treated like a permanent employee. In addition of course, your employer seems to have acknowledged that you should be treated as a permanent employee in the context of your mortgage application.

As a permanent employee who has worked for the employer for more than two years, you would be entitled to receive a redundancy payment. The statutory redundancy payment is two week’s gross pay per year of service up to a ceiling of €600 per week plus one week’s pay, which is also subject to the ceiling of €600. This payment is tax-free. The Dept of Social welfare provides a redundancy calculator, here:

You will need to calculate (in financial terms and in terms of goodwill and future employment prospects with this or other employers) whether it is worth claiming redundancy. Your employer is obliged to pay you a lump sum and will get a rebate from the DSW, so perhaps you might get assistance in calculating what will it cost your employer? Is he willing to commit to re-employing you later? Can he keep you on part time now? These are the questions that I would advise you to explore as you decide how to proceed.

best of luck.

cmcsolicitor, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 144
Experience: and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
cmcsolicitor and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  cmcsolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your positive rating. I hope this all works out for you.

Claire McCarthy

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Last | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Buachaill


    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • cmcsolicitor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK based Immigration Solicitor
  • Top_advisor's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor and Attorney
  • T.DePas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor - Ph.D. Doctor Europaeus in EU law