cmcsolicitor
cmcsolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.
71807589

RA-JM

Customer Question

I Would like some information on what rights i have in the following situation, i currently work in a factory where on all the employers hourly rate has a maximum limit and i receive this maximum payment already, my question is if we all do the same job and i am asked to do extra work (training and upskilling) and after all more duties. I would like to admit that supervisor does not require this from all employees with the maximum salary only frome some. can i refuse to do this extra work? or can i demand extra money to do this? what are my rights in this situation?
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It depends how long I will wait for the answer I can wait a few days so please let me know how long it will takes.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michal

Unfortunately, we can't predict how long it may take to get a response. It depends upon many variables such as the nature and complexity of the question and the areas of specialization of the legal professionals on line. And it's the weekend as well, which could also mean a delay.

We will continue to look for a professional for you. Thanks for your patience.
Expert:  cmcsolicitor replied 1 year ago.

Legally speaking, your employer cannot change the basic terms and conditions of your employment without your consent. Adding to your duties certainly requires your agreement. If you refuse the extra duties and they fire you, that would constitute unfair dismissal and you could sue them under Irish employment law.

In essence, it appears that you have been promoted, without receiving the corresponding benefit (ie, more pay). I would suggest that this would be a good time to negotiate a pay rise. From a Human resources point of view (rather than a legal one), I would suggest that this might be a good time to send your employers two clear messages: 1. That you are keen, competent, and someone they won't want to lose, and 2. That you expect to be rewarded accordingly and that your extra work and responsibilities won't be provided for free.