Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

PHYSICAL ASSAULT OF ELDERLY WOMAN. Last Tuesday

Customer Question

Hello, I will try and make a long story short. Last Tuesday morning my 75 year old mother was physically assaulted by a neighbour (male, in his early sixties) as she walked to the shops. He punched her hard in the upper arm for no apparent reason. This same individual has been intimidating and harassing her every time she crosses his path (again for no apparent reason) since he moved into the neighbourhood about nine years ago. A few years back she sent him a solicitors letter to try and stop the harassment. On the morning in question, after the assault, my mother reported the incident to the gardai. Almost a week later she has heard nothing. After calling them again this morning, she was told that the garda dealing with her complaint is away so won't be able to deal with it until she comes back next week. Can this possibly be correct? I thought that an incident of this nature would at least be treated with a degree of urgency...a physical assault on an elderly woman. My mother is a widow living on her own and is now concerned for her safety every time she leaves the house. I would appreciate any advice on how to move forward with this. We are considering taking this individual to court, but are worried about the effect the stress would have on my mother at her age.

Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Wendy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will wait thank you. Is it possible to give me an approximate idea of how long it will take.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Wendy, I would also like to make sure that the expert is an expert in Irish Law, as this is the category under which I sent my original question.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I originally asked for an expert on Irish Law, not UK Law, if there is an expert online now, I would greatly appreciate an answer to my original question sent in yesterday. Thank you.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.

Your question has been moved to our Irish Law category. We cannot predict when a question will get an answer as that involves too many variables, but we will be searching for a professional to reply.

Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question.

We appreciate your understanding!
Wendy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I would like to continue waiting.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Your question is open to all Ireland Law professionals and we will continue to try to find you a response.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you please tell me how long more I will have to wait for an answer to the question that I submitted last Saturday. I was under the impression from the comments on your site that you had experts online 24 hours. Considering the nature of my question, I am extremely disappointed in the lack of response to my query so far.

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry you have not received an answer yet. Response times vary due to the question and which professionals are online at any time. I have marked your question as high priority, which alerts Experts that you need an answer quickly.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
Wendy
Expert:  Ronan replied 1 year ago.
You are correct in your assessment and it is wholly unsatisfactory that the gardai have failed to deal with this expediously.

You should contact the Superintendent in the station which the complaint, both by phone and in writing. Set out clearly, the details of the incident, the chronology of your complaint, the number of visits to the station and their dates. Seek to have it addressed as a matter of urgency within 7 days.

In the event that you get no satisfaction after doing this. You should make a formal complaint to the Garda Ombudsman