Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years

Customer Question

I am an Irish citizen and recently got a letter from an irish solicitor saying that they will pursue me for $200,000 dollars on foot of a final deficieny judgement obtained against me in the state of Florida. I was always of the opinion that this was not possible. Has someting changed.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 3 years ago.
What makes you believe that they can't pursue the matter here in Ireland?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ronan,

I am of the opinion that a deficiency judgement obtained in the US is not enforceable in Ireland as their is no bilateral agreement in place between the countries how then would you be able to go through Irish legal proceedings.

However if this was Europe(I had a loan in England) I am aware that this judgement could be enforced.

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Wendy

I am willing to wait

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question.

We appreciate your understanding!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Wendy

I have not got an answer to date to my satisfacyion and am requesting that my funds be returned to my credit card.