Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

Can I sue for defamation or liable based on subject matter

Customer Question

Can I sue for defamation or liable based on subject matter sent in a text message to a third party.
My son has been accused of attempting suicide unsuccessfully and this is totally untrue.
If this got out into the public domain it could have a serious effect on his future career.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I am prepared to wait for an answer
Thank you for getting back to me
Joseph O Brien
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Ronan replied 3 years ago.
Will you can sue, your son might be able to.

Firstly, however saying someone tried to commit suicide might not be considered defamatory. A defamatory statement” means a statement that tends to injure a person’s reputation in the eyes of reasonable members of society under the defamation act 2009. There is no case law to date regard to saying some on is suicidal.

If you successfully show that it is defamatory. You will have to show publication. If it was by way of text to a third party then this is straight forward. However the limited nature of the dissemination will be reflected in any award for damages