cmcsolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  and Mediator practicing in Cork, Ireland.

Should I have a solicitor represent my son for possession of

Should I have a solicitor represent my son for possession of small amount of cannabis in court. He is a 3rd level student in 2nd year with no previous offences. I am worried that he may get a criminal record which will have huge implications for his future.

Unfortunately the case is on Wed 10th April 2013. I am very worried and upset I've no idea what to do

cmcsolicitor :

I would say that it would be a very good idea to have a solicitor deal with this. S/he will explain that your son is not a repeat offender, that he is studying, that his prospects would be affected etc. S/he will also have a word with the Garda who will be testifying for the state as well, to make sure that s/he is on board. All your son will have to do is turn up looking clean and presentable and say that he is sorry. If this is a first offence he should be ok and get off with a warning. It might be a good idea not to take any chances though, and a solicitor who is working in your local Disctict Court every day will do this for a reasonable fee. You could go down there to take a look at some of them in action if you don't know who to ask.