Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years

Part of my garden has a right of way to members of the public

Customer Question

Part of my garden has a right of way to members of the public who walk along a river bank to fish. The same applies to my neighbour's property, although - about 10+ years ago, he blocked the right of way from his land on to mine. No-one objected as there are better places to fish. I didn't object as he is a very difficult neighbour.

Anyway, in the last couple of weeks he has opened up his blockage and come on to my property and cut down trees along the river bank, leaving the branches lying in the river or on the bank. When I asked him to explain why, he said that there should be no trees there as its a right of way and then he laughed. He didn't seem to be able or willing to make the link to the fact that he has been blocking the right of way for years.

I had to give up but want to prevent him from cutting down what remains or damaging anything else. I went to the police who said it was a civil matter but they would talk to him.

Is there anything that I can do to formally prevent any reoccurance or to get him to replant the trees damaged? I don't want this to escalate.

Thanks for any advice.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!