Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years

I reside in Ireland. I rented my house to Bulgarian tenants

Customer Question

I reside in Ireland. I rented my house to Bulgarian tenants on May 4th 2012. Their guarantor, a sister of one of the tenants, signed the lease agreement for one year, drawn up by an auctioneer in Newcastle West, Co. Limerick. The brother and cousin of the guarantor signed the lease and stayed in the house until November. I was never informed that they had left. Two friends of theirs, also Bulgarians, stayed in the house until Monday 1st April, 2013. They did not sign the lease agreement. They worked for the guarantor who ran a restaurant in a neighbouring town. I was told by text that they had left and hand dropped they keys into the guarantor's house. I was given no advanced notice that they were about to leave. They had not paid the rent for March. As I hold a deposit of one month's rent, that covers the rent. But there is an outstanding bill of €252 to be paid for the telephone. There is an outstanding electricity bill of €150. What are my rights as landlady? When I availed of the services of an auctioneer to rent my property, I paid her a fee of €600. What are the auctioneer's obligations to me with regard to getting the guarantor to pay the outstanding bills? The guarantor's brother's name is XXXXX XXXXX telephone bill and the guarantor's name is XXXXX XXXXX electricity bill. The Auctioneer appears to have divided loyalties as she handled the sale of a house to the guarantor a few years ago and is currently handling the sale of the family home of the guarantor. When I visited her office yesterday, she did not seem to want to contact the guarantor at all. She drafted a letter on my behalf, not on headed paper, to the guarantor and got me to sign it to present to the guarantor. Should not this letter be from the auctioneer as I paid her a fee for her services. I would be very grateful if you would inform me of my rights in this situation? Thank you.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!