nyclawyer
nyclawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Represent clients in all facets of intellectual property with emphasis on litigation and pre litigation protection.
11313492

If several authors wrote a research paper, and the 1st

Customer Question

If several authors wrote a research paper, and the 1st author was contacted by a publisher to publish a printed book based on that research. Does the 1st author need to contact other co-authors for permission to publish such a book? What if the 1st author can't find the other co-authors anymore? And what else the 1st author needs to do? Thank you.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  nyclawyer replied 13 days ago.
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.Yes, consent from all authors is required and author should contact the others for consent.If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks for the helpful answer. What if the other authors don't agree to publish such a book? Are there any ways to work things out? Thank you.
Expert:  nyclawyer replied 13 days ago.
All must agree
Expert:  nyclawyer replied 13 days ago.
A court not likely to allow it without consent of all.
Expert:  nyclawyer replied 13 days ago.
If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks for the information. When you say consent, does that mean the other authors agree that I publish such book by myself, or they agree to be co-authors of such book? Thanks.
Expert:  nyclawyer replied 13 days ago.
If they are co authors they need the consent to republication
Expert:  nyclawyer replied 13 days ago.
If not written yet no consent needed if you are sole author.
Expert:  nyclawyer replied 13 days ago.
All authors of work need to consent