JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years experience
11068102

Thanks for your quick answer to my "adaptation" question and

Customer Question

thanks for your quick answer to my "adaptation" question and copyrights. I believe that what I have done is to rewrite rather than summarize the articles referred to. So that is in keeping with your thought. Somewhere I read that you can use up to 10% of an original writing in your adaptation. Does that sounds correct to you?The only additional question I have is wondering if I have to state where my adaptation comes froml. Do I have to acknowelege the original source of my rewriting ? Is rewirting the same as adaptation?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 month ago.

No, you don't and it's probably a better idea not to even mention it's an "adaptation" of a copyrighted work.

I don't think there is a "bright line" such as 10%, I believe that was the amount the court used at one time to decide if it was a "fair use" in certain circumstances.

Rewriting is not the same as "adapting". To be safe you should really take the original concept and then write a "new" work.