KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I received a subpoena for downloading some movies last year,

Customer Question

I received a subpoena for downloading some movies last year, what are my steps?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the subpoena was issued in?
Customer: california
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: just got it today. its under john doe but ip address belongs to me with my name
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: how much is the consultation fee?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: ok
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they have me scheduled for Nov*****date. do i need to call or not show up? do i need to get a lawyer? if so what can they do if i dont show up or ignore this letter?
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If I read your question correctly, you received a summons from a internet/ cable/provider about illegal downloads. It appears as if they obtained a bunch of IP addresses where the material was downloaded to, and now they are trying to have the federal Court issue an order to provide the names and addresses of those persons, you. They have named John Doe because they don't know your name and can't access it without a court order.

At this point if your name is ***** ***** the company, then the company will demand money for the copyright infringement, or will try to name you personally in a federal lawsuit.

This is a contentious and much litigated subject, and most federal courts have denied the request to reveal the names and addresses of the subscribers, you.

There is a legal dilemma you are caught in, if you file an objection yourself, you reveal your identity. Therefore, you need a lawyer to file an objection without naming you, except through your “IP address” as one of the “targeted” individuals.

You will need to hire a federal copyright/intellectual property lawyer who handles cases in federal court to handle this. Remember, to fight this yourself, you will reveal your identity, and they will either sue you or force a settlement for tens of thousands of dollars.

I hope this helps with your question.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 month ago.

If you have any other questions, just ask.