PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Attorney-at-Law Following up with more details on my

Customer Question

For Phillips Esq. Attorney-at-LawFollowing up with more details on my dilemma. I wrote to you earlier to get information... and I so appreciated your help. To catch you up... An old housemate stole my social security number. He called wanting to make it right. Here's the update... he has NOT made it right.1. His grandparents agreed to pay off the 3 accounts he opened at Target, Best Buy and Sears. I am hoping they keep their word. All the accounts have since been cancelled and I have set up payments with them. My hope was that in doing so my credit score would NOT be tanked. They are hedging on paying it off right now but I have reminded them that I CANNOT turn back since I have now owned the debts on these accounts per our agreement. Here's my first question: Is there a turning back and reporting them as fraud? No payments have yet to be authorized. What would be the ramifications of doing so in addition to tanking my credit score?2. Since that time the perpetrator used my accounts I did not know he had acquired... a Home Depot card number, a Lowes card number and he hacked into my checking account by linking it to a Target debit card. I AM reporting these to the authorities and have been working with the marshal service. His grandparents are aware and have told me to turn him in... which is why they are now FUDGING on paying the previously mentioned cards in #1. I want them to keep their agreement.So here's my second question: how do I minimize the damage to my credit score by reporting these last three card numbers as stolen? Does it make a difference that it was the numbers and not the cards themselves? My bank credited my account and said this fraud was not as SERIOUS as ID theft which is what happened with the first 3 cards I am paying off. They did tell me that they would not report anything to my bureaus but that other vendors that deal with fraud probably would.I am cooperating with the authorities to apprehend him as he has left a pretty clear trail of where he is located. Even though my checking account is closed he continues to charge on this Target debit card that used to be linked to my old account. Target keeps authorizing the charges even though my bank declines them. I am in contact with the Target store he frequents and am amazed at how hard it is to go after him. TARGET prioritizes items leaving the store and authorizes security to arrest people in the parking lot. HOWEVER, withdrawing funds fraudulently or paying for things with other people's money does not list high on priorities perhaps because it is not always easy to prove the fraud like it is was to prove shoplifting.A marshal is working with local police in California to try to apprehend him the next time he comes in the store. He has visited there 3 times in 5 days. I suspect he will return.THANKST
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Here's my first question: Is there a turning back and reporting them as fraud?

Response 1: There is a "turning back." However, you cannot report the grandparents as fraud because they were not the ones that stole your information, their grandson did and that's who you would be reporting to the authorities.

No payments have yet to be authorized. What would be the ramifications of doing so in addition to tanking my credit score?

Response 2: Nothing apart from your credit score being affected if the credit reporting agencies do not resolve the disputed information in your favor.

2. Since that time the perpetrator used my accounts I did not know he had acquired... a Home Depot card number, a Lowes card number and he hacked into my checking account by linking it to a Target debit card. I AM reporting these to the authorities and have been working with the marshal service. His grandparents are aware and have told me to turn him in... which is why they are now FUDGING on paying the previously mentioned cards in #1. I want them to keep their agreement.

So here's my second question: how do I minimize the damage to my credit score by reporting these last three card numbers as stolen? Does it make a difference that it was the numbers and not the cards themselves?

Response 3: No, it does not. If the information has been stolen, you have to promptly report it so that you would not be held liable for it and your credit score would not be affected because you can dispute the information on your credit file with the credit reporting agencies.

My bank credited my account and said this fraud was not as SERIOUS as ID theft which is what happened with the first 3 cards I am paying off. They did tell me that they would not report anything to my bureaus but that other vendors that deal with fraud probably would.

Response 3: If reported then you can dispute the information so that it would not be held against you.