Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

If mailing my poetry to myself, and keeping the sealed

Customer Question

If mailing my poetry to myself, and keeping the sealed envelope wherein the poetry docs are sealed - does that constitute a legal copyright?
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: Just the papers on which my poetry is printed out
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: Local atty said their office does not handle copyright. Nothing filed in court. I want to submit three of my poems to a local magazine, but they only accept unpublished authors, of which I am one. But I want the material copyrighted before I submit the poems. Online copyright procedures are beyond my financial ability to afford.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't know - what do you think he'll require - never been in this situation before. Want a poem or two?!
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 5 months ago.

This is attorney Bill answering your copyright and intellectual property question today.

The US Federal law provides protection for the original creative works of all authors.

So , the fact that you haven't registered does not conclude that you aren't afforded any protective rights in law.

However down the road in case of a copyright violation it is more important to have your copyrighted work registered with the United States Copyright office, this would give you a statutory right in damages.

Without registration you aren't automatically entitled to compensation should someone use your poetry.

To register, the cost online is just $35 or about $100 for a written application.

Here is the link for registration and fees schedule: https://www.copyright.gov/document.html

WE ARE HERE TO HELP

IN RETURN WE COUNT ON POSITIVE RATING

PLEASE RATE BEFORE EXITING, THIS GIVES ME A CREDIT

BEST

Bill

This is attorney Bill following up on your question.

I answer your question a while back but you never followed through so is there anything else in relation to your question that remains ?

POSITIVE RATINGS GIVE ME A CREDIT FOR MY TIME

OTHERWISE I DON’T RECEIVE THIS

Thanks

Bill