JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years experience
11068102

I own a print shop. I wanted to know is it okay for me to

Customer Question

I own a print shop. I wanted to know is it okay for me to print shirts and or sale shirts with a NFL team on it, someone told me it was not legal but I see other companies selling the shirts with logos of sports team. Is it okay for us to do, and what could happen if its found that I'm selling tshirts with the team logos on them?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 4 months ago.

All of the NFL teams have their logos, names, etc. trademarked either individually or through the NFL. To legally sell anything with those logos you would have to get permission of the team and the NFL.

Since all of these are registered trademarks you could be fined for each sale you make. The statutory damages are between $750 and $150k pursuant to the statute shown at https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/504

In addition, you could have to pay attorney's fees, costs of court, etc.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Even if I'm a small print shop?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 4 months ago.

Yes, the law doesn't distinguish between small print shops or large operations. As you can see from that link to the statute, the only issue is whether the items are trademarked/copyrighted and whether you used them. It isn't rare for a trademark violation to put a small shop out of business and if you're not incorporated or protected somehow they can even go after your personal assets, although the companies don't usually do that.