JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years experience
11068102

I wrote and an article and it was published to over 10,000

Customer Question

Hello, I wrote and an article and it was published to over 10,000 readers. I did not sign any agreement knowingly concerning copyright regarding this article. What can I do to secure the rights to this article for a future book deal?
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: The article has already been published
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No I haven't done anything or spoken to any attorneys regarding this article.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I don't see a down arrow..
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just want to make nobody else can steal this article since it is now in its second printing phase.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 2 months ago.

Without an agreement to the contrary, the writer/author of an article automatically has a copyright created at the instant it is written.

However, it is sometimes hard to prove when it was written, that you were the one who wrote it, etc. without a formal copyright. You can get a formal copyright by applying it for it and following the steps at http://www.copyright.gov/

That is the government office that handles copyrights and hey also have a FAQ page at http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.