Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience.
77476456

I have written a play about a Fereal Judge during the civil

Customer Question

I have written a play about a Fereal Judge during the civil righs era. Two thirds is a one man play. I used info from a biography . Paraphased most. Used the Judges own words in many cases. I assume the author could not coyright the judges quotes. I need to see a copyright atty one on one . Can you give me some guidlines about paraphasing actual events?
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: Script is 5.5x8-- about 55 pages but I ama concerned only about 35 pages
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: NO Next move to find a local if I can find one that will meet and discuss- Iam avoiding attorneys in Wash DC--looking for one in frederick Maryland
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Am I paying for this?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience. I also have received an award for scholorship in Copyright law. I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Factual Biographical information is NOT subject to copyright. Also anything the Judge wrote in his position as Judge (written decisions/opinions for example) are public domain because they were written in his public capacity.

The Judge (or his heirs) may have copyrights to any of his private writings. Statements that were made in public (verbally as opposed to in writing) can not be copyrighted (unless the speech was separately published).

If I have not covered all your questions please let me know.

(As for payment - yes you pay the amount that was indicated on the page you posted the question. I am not privy to that information).

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In addition to biographical info I assume it applies to factual events.

Yes that is correct. Any factual events can not be copyrighted.

They are news and history.

Kind regards,

Gerald