Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed and Experienced Attorney.
26296561

I have translated a book from Arabic into English for

Customer Question

I have translated a book from Arabic into English for Lexington Books. On their website, they present themselves as an academic press which follows a peer-review process. After i had sent them twice the names of the external reviewers, they told me 2 days ago that my manuscript that I worked on for 4 years will be published without being peer reviewed because it is a translation. I the contract they signed no way does it mention that my manuscript would not be peer-reviewed because a translation, as if translation in itself is not intellectual property or scholarship independently of the original text. I am not asking for anything but delay the production of the book until it is reviewed. In my field, to be promoted, all my work needs to be peer-reviewed. They will damage my career if they do not peer-review my translation.
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: Email and contract.
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No! It happened 2 days ago. I don't know what to do.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I live in Birmingham, AL
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have a legal question that I can answer for you about the situation you have described in your post?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I have the right to force them to peer-review my translation? They are claiming that the contract they sent me mentioned endorsers for my publication not reviewers. The contract in itself that we both signed does not mention anything about the peer-reviewing process because Lexington Press is an academic press which claims online to have a peer-preview process. There is no one I would have submitted my manuscript to them if they had told me they did not peer-review translations. There is a separate questionnaire that asks me to mention the names of scholars in the field who would endorse my publication. I am not sure how anyone can endorse a work without reviewing it.

Thank you for your follow up.

While I cannot comment on your specific situation, generally, unless peer-review was a written term and part of the contract, I am afraid generally, the press company cannot be legally forced to obtain peer-review for the translation.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!