Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I want to know about copy rights. How to file for one.

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Legally speaking, you don't file "for" a copyright, as one exists already under U.S. law. But you can register your copyright, which is advisable., because you are protecting the rights that you do have and would be able to sue for damages, attorney fees and costs, etc... if there was an infringement of those rights.

It's actually not even necessary to put the circle c designation on your work tocopyright it. Rather, the circle C is merely an indication that you're claiming copyright status inthe work, not that it's actually copyrighted. Under US law, a copyrightable work is automatically copyrighted. So even though it is not registered with the US copyright office, once it is created it is under copyright protection. If you can show that you created it before they had the "idea" then you could have some legal recourse

A copyright registration costs about $35 if you do it online. You do not even need an attorney to register online, you can go to Copyright Registration and complete the online registration and send a pdf or other type of file with the copyrighted works attached and you would be protected.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer.

Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 26 days ago.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.