socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Alex, Is there a place where I can either download or

Customer Question

Good Morning Alex,
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: Is there a place where I can either download or receive a invoicing of specific violations of that copyright and their enforcement procedure's? My copyright is filed in Washington state in perpetuity
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No nothing has been filed in court. Nor have I spoken with a local attorney
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is all
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 months ago.

Good morning. Alex is not available. I practice intellectual property law -- please permit me to assist.

Copyright laws which may have been enacted in any and every state jurisdiction are preempted by the U.S. Copyright Act. See Laws v. Sony Music Entertainment, Inc., 448 F.3d 1134 (9th Cir. 2006) (Washington State law preempted by U.S. Copyright Act).

Perhaps you mean that your copyright was filed in Washington, DC. If so, then the violations and enforcement provisions of the U.S. Copyright Act are found in 17 U.S.C. Chapter 5. Where there is any ambiguity in the law, the case law of the federal courts is used to interpret and "fill in the gaps."

If you have a specific legal issue you would like analyzed, please let me know and I will be happy to try to find the applicable case law.

Otherwise, I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!