Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I have a design and a logo that I posted online and want to

Customer Question

I have a design and a logo that I posted online and want to make sure no one takes it. I am working on a trademark but is there anything else I can do to make sure no one takes it?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

You can also register the copyright for the design. Copyright protects you from infringement by individuals taking it. Trademark protects you from those that even unintentionally take it. Trademark costs more, but gives you the most protection. Copyright registration also gives you protection, but only from those that knowingly take the image. But having both means that you can sue under both theories and recover damages under both theories. Here's the process:

• Go to copyright.gov and click on the eCo Online Registration button. This is the new paperless system for copyright filing.
  • Fill out the Form CO that takes your information, including name of the owner, the creator (if applicable) and the nature of the copyright document. In the case of a logo, the nature of the document is a drawing or graphic representation.
  • Upload the logo file. Acceptable files have the extension of *.pdf, *.gif, *.jpg or *.psd to name a few of the common files. See copyright.gov for a complete list.
  • Pay the registration fee of $35 with a debit card.
  • Print out your confirmation. Your copyright will have a "pending status" until it is approved. Once it is approved, your copyright is effective as of the date of registration, not approval.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~50 minutes with you today) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★).

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He did great, sorry I was not able to answer. Thank you!

My pleasure.

You have to rate ON YOUR SCREEN for the rating to process.

Please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (>50 minutes) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up/down/left/right so that you can see them. Again, please note that you have to click the rating and submit it for the question to close out and for me to get credit for the answer I provided.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only then I am credited.

Again, was there anything else?

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!