Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

I wish to know my rights regarding copyright. I almost

Customer Question

I wish to know my rights regarding copyright. I almost completed an edit of a novel (Deserts and Mountains) at the request of the Author, Yilmaz Alimoglu. I failed to finish the edit because the author refused to agree to my request to include of my name as editor. The novel was repetitive, egotistical and badly overwritten. It required much more than elementary spelling, grammar and punctuation corrections.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
AS an editor, you do not obtain copyright rights to the work written by someone else. Even though you reworked his work, that would be considered derivative use of his work and as such without some written contract with the author giving you copyright rights, legally you cannot claim them I am afraid.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.