Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law

I've written a song just lyrics, and I need to have it

Customer Question

I've written a song just lyrics, and I need to have it copyright. How much does one song cost? And after I recrivved my copyright, how to connect with artists or groups of singers? How does that work
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It costs about $35 to file for your own copyright online at It is simple to file and you can copyright the lyrics separate from the music if you want to do so or you can copyright it all together. You would fill out the forms and upload the song to the site to be sent to library of congress. Once you file for your copyright, then it is up to you to find an artist to perform the song, which you can do through local musicians or talent agencies and you would offer your work to them to perform. It would be up to you to shop your song out to talent to perform it though.