Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

I am a graphic designer and I have a t-shirt idea that I

I am a graphic designer and I have a t-shirt idea that I want to pursue selling online that is very political in nature. It is a saying that would encourage people NOT to vote for a particular candidate and it contains an expletive that at the worst would most likely be seen as defamatory by this person and their supporters. I would like to know if it is legal for me to create this artwork using the political candidates last name.
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: I'm not understanding your question. I have no documentation on the matter. Only my concept.
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No. I am asking you the question in advance to see if my idea is even worth pursuing. I am wondering if it is legal for me to create such a t-shirt.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A public person has no trademark or copyright over their last name. You using their name in your design to express your political opinion or views would not be a violation of any laws. You can use the person's name or both candidates names and not violate any laws.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you!
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.