PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

If I am an authorized sales agent for Verizon Wireless and

Customer Question

If I am an authorized sales agent for Verizon Wireless and identify myself to all my customers as such, can I create a website like www.vzwagents.com ? To basically put up information about our agency and have our current customers post testimonials about how good our customer service and staff is ? My only concern is the legal aspect of using "www.vzwagents.com" even though that's exactly what I am....
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, you cannot do that without the express written consent of Verizon Wireless.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay so as an authorized agent, in our contract , if it says in there that we can advertise and use the name and logo to provide sales etc , then it's ok correct ?

Yes, that is correct.

A 5-star rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive proper credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks... and lastly, being that I am adding the word agents to "vzw" is why I assumed it's fine because Verizon's site is www.vzw.com and www.verizonwireless.com... I added the word "agents " to clearly differentiate myself as not "vzw" . What your original answer of "no " meant was if I wasn't at all an authorized agent - then I couldn't advertise or use that reference in my advertising correct ?

Actually no. I understood at the beginning that you are the authorized agent. You still need to get written authorization to use the company's logo and trademark. Since you have indicated that written consent has been given to you via the contract you signed, that's why I indicated that it would be alright for you to use it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
even if my written agreement says I can use the name and logo to promote business as long as I state I am an agent and not direct ? like I need double approval is what you mean ? And isn't www.vzwagents.com , clearly different than www.vzw.com? That's what my whole question is, I already know in my agreement it allows us to use the logo and name as long as I clearly state I am an authorized agent.

A little miscommunication here. Before my initial response, you never indicated that you had an agreement that authorized you to use the company's logos/trademarks:

"If I am an authorized sales agent for Verizon Wireless and identify myself to all my customers as such, can I create a website like www.vzwagents.com ? To basically put up information about our agency and have our current customers post testimonials about how good our customer service and staff is ? My only concern is the legal aspect of using "www.vzwagents.com" even though that's exactly what I am...."

Me: Unfortunately, you cannot do that without the express written consent of Verizon Wireless.

After my response, you then indicated that you did have a written agreement that gives you consent to use the company's logos/trademarks. I then replied and stated that you can use it as you originally indicated. I am not sure how I am now implying that you need "double approval:

"Okay so as an authorized agent, in our contract , if it says in there that we can advertise and use the name and logo to provide sales etc , then it's ok correct ?"

Me

Yes, that is correct.